- I’d prefer to coach pupils from Year 4 upwards, but will consider coaching younger children should I feel this is appropriate
- Lessons will be 45 minutes long, aiming for one lesson per week
- Lessons will ideally be held on weekdays
- Lessons can be arranged over weekend, but I would prefer to keep these days open for tournaments – happy to discuss though
- Lessons are be Zoom (or other platform by agreement) – Face to Face lessons may be considered (at the Canterbury Chess or your home - see Fees)
What will the lessons cover?
- The pieces and how they move
- The rules and laws of chess
- Chess Notation
- Chess Etiquette
- Tactics Strategy
- Pawn Structure
- Game analysis
- Tournament preparation
How and when these components are taught and to what degree will depend on the individual student and / or class. I will ensure that each individual and class is taught at the appropriate level.
- Lessons can be tailored to suit your needs, should you be an adult wanting lessons – please feel free to enquire.
- Lessons at a school (in person or by Zoom etc.) can be arranged. Please ask your child’s school to get in touch with me.
- I also currently run junior individual chess tournaments on a once a month basis.
- These are held at the Halswell Scout Hall.
- Please see the Tournaments tab for more info.